Tuesday 27 November 2012

Saturday 7th January 12

A good day, despite seeing my favourite veg shop being emptied and closed.

I'd agreed to collect Sally's compost this morning.  For a couple of years, she's been bringing her waste veg and fruit peelings once a week to Country Fresh, where they've been added to a box or bag which I've then taken home.  She is really keen on keeping as much as possible out of landfill and only throws away a tiny amount every few months.  So with the shop closing, she was in a bit of a difficult position, and rang me up to ask if I'd be prepared to collect the stuff from her, once a week or once a fortnight.  I agreed to do a weekly pick up from her back yard.  I then went to the shop and Rich wasn't there, but said (over the phone) that he'd be there in 20 minutes, so I collected two Christmas trees and cycled home... and back again to the shop.

I took a large quantity of the last of the fruit and veg from Richard, who was going to the skip site with boxes for recycling, and black sacks of mixed stuff for landfill.  I just did one journey back home, and asked Rich to let me know if there was more to help with later in the week.

I spent a bit of the afternoon sorting out some good fruit and veg from the genuinely compostable stuff, and loaded quite a few heaps high with sacks of materials.

In the evening our youngest went to spend time with a friend, and was invited to have a sleepover, and that gave space for our eldest to have a game of Scrabble with us, he joined forces with Gill and soundly thrashed me 359 versus 289.  I had a very unlucky game letters-wise.  No excuse really, between them they had some excellent words and I'm quite glad it ended up like that as our son will be more likely to play if he thinks he can beat me.

No comments: