Wednesday 11 May 2011

Tuesday 10th May 11

Well a funny old day.... Up early, something to do with taking a child to school but he didn't go in the end.  I removed myself from the situation, and got busy in the front garden, sawing and splitting the Ash logs left by Mark.  I also did a little bit of work in the back garden, but not much.

I had quite a bit of time indoors too, sorting out the Student Loan stuff and a whole load of gigs in York libraries over the summer, which I'm looking forward to.

I'd agreed to go and see Helen at 4.30 in El Piano, as she'd been at her regular Tuesday workshop, and we had some great chats, as usual.  Helen also had something for me... my only birthday present this year, a book by David Byrne, of Talking Heads fame, about his cycling adventures, called Bicycle Diaries, which looks like a really good read. Thank you Helen.

We parted at about 6 and I cycled straight up to Tang Hall Library for the Hull Road Ward Planning Panel, which was interesting as the Council have agreed something called an Article 4 Direction, which means, if it's agreed, that if a home owner wants to change the use of the house from an ordinary residence to a 'House In Multiple Occupation' or HMO, they'll have to apply for planning permission.  An HMO is a house or flat with 3 or more tenants who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet.  The best definition I've found of an HMO is here. This will mean that the numbers of houses being converted into student homes might be slowed down, as it might be possible, if Article 4 is agreed, to refuse planning permission for the change.  I will be writing to the Council to support this Direction, as so many local residents have told me that they are worried by the number of student houses constantly being converted.

I got back home at about 7.30 and did a bit more work outside, before coming in for some soup (out of a tin) and a sandwich.  

No comments: