Thursday 10 July 2008

Thursday 10th July 08

I took the boys into school as I was expecting a phone call from my greengrocer friend Jamie to ask me to meet him at St Nicks to do a recycling job for him... but when I got home he hadn't called, so I got on with some work at home... and then got a phone call from John at St Nicks... Jamie was there waiting for me, he'd forgotten to ring me. Anyway, I bombed down there and did two hours of the most revolting stinky work, but very worthwhile, and it will earn a little donation for St Nicks too...

Home at midday, showered, had lunch... felt negative for a few minutes about composting, but I'm sure it will pass...

Did some paperwork connected to a late booking which is tomorrow at a nearby school, and before collecting the kids, delivered the confirmation letter to them so they know I'll be with them before the 1pm start time...

And went to school, fielded the children and asked them to play for a bit as I was doing some Green Thumbs volunteering and as it was a nice day, good weather 'n' all, they were happy enough to play on the field whilst I got on with the young gardeners.

After the hour, took my boys home and thanked them for being so good and well behaved whilst I did the gardening club.

After tea, which was a toastie with assorted other bits, went to the core group meeting of York Green Festival which was at Rich's house fairly close to here. Last time I cycled up Heslington Road, I noticed several aluminium cans in the grounds of the Retreat, plus others on the roadside verge, so I stopped to pick them up and as I got off my bike, my foot slipped off the kerb and I fell, bashing my elbow on the pavement and pulling the bike on top of me... What a fool! But I was wearing new shoes which have soles which do seen to slip if wet, not like my wellies which have good grip. Anyway, I got myself together, threw the cans in the trailer, and prepared to cycle off... and my foot slipped off the pedal and I fell on top of the bike, into the road, and when I got up, I found that I had buckled my front wheel, bloodied my knee and bruised my knuckle... oh what a double fool! But the front wheel still went round so I slowly went down the hill to the meeting feeling very foolish and sorry for myself...

The Green Fest meeting was really good, Rich chaired well and we got all the stuff talked about... publicity, workshops, stalls, stewards, kids area, waste/recycling, healing area, DJ area, insurance, marquees, the neighbours' letter and the website.

The meeting lasted til after 10, after which I cycled carefully home, beginning to ache and feel sore.

I came in and did the neccessary YGF emails, had a chat on Skype and relaxed.

No comments: